Mission of the Food Pantry
The mission of the Food Pantry is to be the hands of Christ in our community by reaching out to those in need. We will do this by providing food and supplies in such a way that everyone served by our Food Pantry will experience God’s love.
• Salem’s Food Pantry is open every Tuesday evening from 6:30-7:30 p.m., for individuals and families with a Myersville, Smithsburg and Sabillasville address. We also serve people in need in our own congregation.
• Families may use the Food Pantry once a month. However, if you’re having a crisis, please let the staff know and accommodations may be made.
• You will need to provide your name and keep the staff current on your physical address, phone number, and number of family members that reside in your household.
• Residents will receive plastic or paper bags to fill according to family size. One bag to a single person, two bags to a couple or family of three, and three bags to a family of four or more.
• Bakery items and fresh produce may be provided when available, with no limitations.
• To ensure that all households are treated fairly, some items may be quantity limited per household.
• Salem UMC will also provide delivery to those that are disabled or elderly upon request.
• Please note that we have the right to refuse services to anyone that uses obscenities, is under the influence of a controlled substance, or makes us feel in danger.
• The pantry is not responsible for food after it has left the pantry. Food product “dating” sheets are available for reference.
• If you experience a true emergency or crisis situation outside of our regular pantry hours, you may call the church office at 301-293-1616.
• Brochures are available at the Food Pantry for such things as food recipes, healthy eating, educational resources, social services and more.
• Our staff members are available to pray with you at any time. Also, a box is available for any prayer requests you may have.
• Please take a copy of our church newsletter to learn more about Salem Church.
• Please come and worship with us on Sunday mornings. Services are at 9 a.m. (Traditional) and 11:15 a.m. (Contemporary). Sunday school groups for all ages meet at 10:15 a.m.
• The food is mostly purchased through Maryland Food Bank of Western Maryland which is a member of Feeding America.
• The Food Pantry is also supported by donations of food from local churches, individuals and organizations.
• Financial donations are appreciated. The mailing address for the food pantry is Salem United Methodist Church, 12477-79 Wolfsville Road, Myersville, MD 21773.
• Salem UMC point of contact for the Food Pantry is Dawn Nelson, phone 301-293-9988, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Pastor Bob Snyder is available to provide pastoral care. He may be reached at 240-385-6833 (mobile), or email RevBSnyder@comcast.net.